When modifying your WordPress website, it is imperative that you make you modifications on a Child Theme. For non-gurus like me, there IS an easy way!
How to Create a Child Theme the Easy Way
- Download and install the ‘One Click Child Theme’ plugin from WordPress.org – http://wordpress.org/plugins/one-click-child-theme/
- In WordPress admin menu, navigate to Appearance > Child Theme
- Give your new theme a name
- Click ‘Create Child’
- You may see an error message, ignore this
- Go to Appearance > Themes to see your new ‘blank’ CSS file!
To copy templates to your new Child Theme, see an example in Adding a Full Width Page to 2013 Theme